11-Year-Old Girl Electrocuted While Playing Mini Golf
Girl Was Visiting Orlando With Her Parents
Tragedy struck a mini golf course in Florida when an 11-year-old girl was electrocuted while trying to retrieve her golf ball from a water hazard.
Ashton Jojo, from Latham, N.Y., was visiting Orlando with her parents and brother when a trip to a mini golf course went horribly wrong.
According to the County Sheriff's press release, "the victim's golf ball fell into a small pond that is located inside the golf area. When the victim attempted to retrieve her ball from the pond, she screamed as if she was in distress."
Another resort guest, Christopher Burges of Alabama, heard her screams and attempted to rescue her. Once paramedics arrived however, Jojo was found to be unresponsive. She was then rushed to the hospital where she was pronounced dead.
Jojo had celebrated her 11th birthday just a week earlier.
A statement released by the Orange Lake Resort confirmed that 3 guests had been injured on the course but assured the public that the resort "holds the safety and well-being of our guests and employees as our top priority and concern."
The statement went on to announce the golf facility will be closed indefinitely while officials investigate the mysterious incident.