Andrej Pejic: 'The Prettiest Boy in the World' Covers 'New York' Mag's Fall Fashion Issue (VIDEO)
In New York Magazine's Cover Story on Model Andrej Pejic, He Says, "My Gender Is Open to Artistic Interpretation"
Who's the hottest model to ever don a Jean-Paul Gaultier wedding dress? Andrej Pejic. And yes, he's a dude.
Pejic, the modeling world's obsession of the moment, sat down for a cover-story length interview with New York magazine for its Fall Fashion issue, and it turns out that the Australian poser is as funny and irreverent as he is controversial and pretty.
Among the story's most interesting tidbits:
- Pejic once tried to fake a pregnancy to goof on the media, by showing up at a Brazilian airport with a foam baby bump. Customs officers thought he might be smuggling drugs in the faux bump, and the ruse came to a quick end;
- Pejic on French Vogue editor Carine Roitfeld's decision to dress him as a woman for an editorial shoot, thus making him the model of the moment: "Carine Roitfeld was just like, 'Put him in ¬Fendi!' My agency did ask me if I was comfortable with it, but I’ve been dressing in skirts since I was very little, so for me it was, 'Of course.'"
- Pejic on his famously androgynous look: "It’s not like, 'Okay, today I want to look like a man, or today I want to look like a woman.' I want to look like me. It just so happens that some of the things I like are feminine."
- The model will not confirm whether he dates men or women, saying, "I wouldn’t say that I’m really a sexual person. But I do appreciate love, and I would love to experience it someday. I don’t think I have yet."
- Article writer Alex Morris says in the feature, "If (Pejic) were not a man, he would be the most beautiful woman I have ever seen in the flesh."
- Pejic refers to his androgyny and the confusion surrounding it as "the situation."
READ MORE: Chanel's Fantasy Fashion Show!
A little background on the 19-year-old Bosnian-born model: He grew up mostly in Melbourne, and has an older brother who does not sport the same androgynous features. He made a splash earlier this year when he walked in both the men's and women's shows for Gaultier in the Paris fashion shows, as well as Marc Jacobs' men's show.
Last May, Barnes & Noble reportedly put a sleeve over the cover of Dossier -- which featured a topless Pejic -- before putting the mag on its magazine racks, because it was feared that shoppers would think there was a naked woman on the cover, and Pejic ranked number 98 on FHM mag's list of the 100 Sexiest Women in the World for 2011.
And, though fashion flavors of the moment tend to only last for a moment, Pejic says he's already thinking about how to parlay his 15 minutes into something more, like a book, an acting career, a reality TV show or … a sex tape?
“When you think I’m going down, I’ll come back with a sex tape, do you know what I mean?" he joked in New York. "I’d bring in latex, make it really fashion, really artsy. Do a proper sex tape."