Food Network Chef Anthony Sedlak Dead at 29
The Food Network Canada Star Was Also a Cookbook Author and Restaurateur
Food Network Canada star Anthony Sedlak, who won the network's Superstar Chef Challenger competition when he was just 23, died suddenly Friday from a previously undiagnosed medical condition.
Sedlak, 29, was found Friday evening in his Vancouver apartment, and a specific cause of death has not yet been released.
"His unexpected and sudden death has devastated his family, friends and the culinary community," Sedlak's family said in a statement (as reported by Zap2It.com). "The Sedlak family thanks Anthony's fans and associates for all their love, devotion and condolences."
Sedlak became the host of the network's series The Main after winning the Superstar Chef competition. He also later hosted Family Cook-Off, and had recently opened the restaurant The American Cheesesteak Company in Vancouver.
"This morning we received tragic news that Anthony Sedlak had passed away," Food Network Canada said in a statement. "We would like to extend our deepest sympathies to Anthony's family during this difficult time.
"Anthony became a much loved member of the Food Network family, entertaining and inspiring fans through four seasons of The Main and his latest venture, Family Cook-Off. It was our privilege to have worked with him. His passing is a terrible loss and he will be sadly missed by all of us."
Sedlak, described by one Food Network colleague as the enthusiastic "love child of Jamie Oliver and Anthony Bourdain," began pursuing his dream career when he was just 13, starting out as a busboy at a café before he was even of legal working age.
"Fourteen was the legal age," he told a newspaper in 2009, reports NationalPost.com. "Who knows how I got the job."