Teenager Has Stomach Removed After Drinking Liquid Nitrogen Cocktail
She Had Perforations In Her Stomach
A Teenager in England is in critical condition after she drank a cocktail made with liquid nitrogen, forcing surgeons to completely remove her stomach.
18-year-old Gaby Scanlon was rushed to the hospital with complaints of breathlessness and pains in her abdomen. There doctors discovered she had liquid nitrogen eating through her stomach.
Doctors were then forced to perform a complete gastrectomy (the removal of her stomach) in order to save her life.
Because of its extremely low boiling point, Liquid nitrogen is used in some food dishes like ice cream and desserts to add a showy fog effect.
Police say Scanlon consumed a legal and "correctly prepared" cocktail consisting of Jagermeister and liquid nitrogen. Though normally safe, the cocktail caused a dangerous reaction for Scanlon.
Authorities say the bar where Scanlon got her drink has agreed to stop making its Nitro Jaegers during the investigation.